Tuesday, September 18, 2007

NYT : Lost in a Million-Year Gap, Solid Clues to Human Origins

Today, I was exuberant when the New York Times printed an article about human origins. The human evolution tree is still far from perfect. However, there are several good theories. Unfortunately, there are not enough fossils discovered and some may be waiting to be discovered.

When I read the publication last month about the new idea of Homo erectus and Homo habilis living together even though they became isolated from each other for many thousand years. I am really curious whether Homo erectus actually left Africa or stayed at another part of Africa before meeting their distant cousins.

Did Homo splitted off from australopithecus? In my own opinion, I would say yes. But, I can't be one hundred percent sure. Recently, I acquired a copy of book called Lucy. I plan on reading this to learn more about australopithecus.

As scientists and paleoanthropologists try to revamp the human evolution map, I can still ponder about some theories they have on the table. This is one of the most exciting fields.

No comments: